We have all seen daredevil stunts and risky tasks with the disclaimer of, “don’t try this at home!” It is usually obvious why you would be cautioned not to try most of them, but when it comes to some plumbing repair projects, it might not be evident what dangers are involved. Here are a few plumbing problems and projects that you would be best advised not to add to your DIY list, even though it might be tempting.
- Water heaters- DIYers have a tendency to replace water heaters that do not need to be. Many issues can be resolved with water heater repair instead. Another danger is the weight factor. You don’t want to deal with back pain because you tried this plumbing repair on your own.
- Toilets- A toilet can be quite heavy as well, and it isn’t uncommon for a DIYer to damage a toilet when attempting replacement or repair. Rather than ending up needing to purchase two toilets, leave toilet repair to a professional.
- Pipes- Some pipe repair is somewhat DIY friendly, provided you have the tools and experience to do it properly. If you have to invest in multiple tools, it could end up costing you more to do a pipe plumbing repair yourself. Some pipe repairs are more complicated due to location, accessibility, or other factors and definitely require an experienced pro.
- Drain cleaning- There is nothing wrong with trying to jar a clog loose with a plunger, but if that fails, leave it to a professional who can perform a video camera inspection to learn if it is a clog or a damaged drain line.
- Well pumps- It can be a complex job to deal with well pump installation or repair. The deeper your well is, the more difficult the task. You really want to avoid the prospect of the pump falling into the well, for example.
If you require plumbing repair that you wisely decide isn’t a DIY task, reach out to us at Hall’s Plumbing. We serve the Mooresville, North Carolina area with a wide variety of plumbing services, including installation, replacement, inspection, and repair services. We guarantee that you will be 100% satisfied with our work. Call today to learn more.